Probate is the legal process of transferring the assets of a deceased person to their beneficiaries. Without a doubt, it can be a complex and time-consuming process. For this reason, it is important to have an experienced probate attorney on your side to help you navigate the system and avoid costly litigation.
Possible Probate Issues
There are many probate problems that someone might need a probate attorney to help them with. Here are a few examples of what can arise during the probate process:
- A will contest – If someone challenges the validity of a will, a probate attorney can help you defend the will and ensure that your wishes are carried out.
- Disputes among beneficiaries – If beneficiaries disagree about how an estate should be divided, a probate attorney can help mediate the dispute and reach an agreement that is fair to everyone involved.
- Assets that are difficult to distribute – Some assets, such as real estate or businesses, can be more difficult to distribute than others. When this is the case, a probate attorney can help you navigate the process and ensure that the assets are distributed properly.
- International estates – If the deceased person owned assets in multiple countries, the probate process can be more complex. In this instance, a probate attorney who is familiar with international law can help you navigate the process and ensure that your wishes are carried out in all jurisdictions.
Why it’s Important to Work with the Right Probate Attorney
The passing of a loved one is an extremely difficult time. Estate and probate issues must be handled in a timely manner, and there are often many legal issues to contend with, on top of the emotions, stress and grief that typically arise. When you work with a probate attorney at Churchill, Quinn, Hamilton & Van Donselaar, Ltd, there are a few important ways that we can help alleviate some of that burden:
- File the necessary paperwork with the court. First, we can help you file the necessary documentation, such as the will, the inventory of assets, and the petition for probate.
- Track down assets and debts. This can be a complex process, especially if the deceased person owned assets in multiple states or countries.
- Pay off debts and taxes. We can provide assistance in paying off the debts of the deceased person, such as funeral expenses, medical bills, and taxes.
- Distribute assets to beneficiaries. Another of our roles is to help ensure that the estate assets are legally distributed to the beneficiaries in accordance with the will.
- Negotiate with creditors: If the deceased person owed money to creditors, we can help you negotiate with the creditors to get the best possible terms for the estate.
- Mediate disputes among beneficiaries: Unfortunately, disputes among beneficiaries can be common. We have experience managing these challenging family relationships and can help make this process easier.
- Contest a will: If someone challenges the validity of the will, our experienced team can help to ensure that the initial wishes are carried out.
- Appeal a court decision: If you are not satisfied with a court decision, we can help you appeal the decision.
Contact Churchill, Quinn, Hamilton & Van Donselaar, Ltd for your Probate Needs
This, of course, is just a partial list of the many ways we can help make the probate process easier. When you are represented by a probate attorney from Churchill, Quinn, Hamilton & Van Donselaar, Ltd, you have the support and guidance of an experienced professional who always has your best interests in mind. Contact us at 847-223-1500 to schedule a consultation or to learn more about our extensive estate planning services.