Zoning Dispute: Helpful Information to Protect Your Property

zoning dispute

Zoning laws are designed to protect the character of a community and ensure that land is used in a way that is compatible with its surroundings. However, zoning laws can also be a source of conflict, as property owners may disagree about how a particular piece of land should be used.

If you are facing a zoning dispute, it is important to understand your rights and options. An experienced real estate attorney can help you navigate the zoning process and protect your interests.

What is a Zoning Dispute?

A zoning dispute is a disagreement between a property owner and a local government about the use of land. Zoning disputes can arise for a variety of reasons, such as:

  • A property owner wants to use their land for a purpose that is not allowed in the zoning district.
  • A property owner is violating zoning regulations.
  • A property owner is objecting to a proposed development that would impact their property.

What are the Common Types of Zoning Disputes?

There are many different types of zoning disputes, but some of the most common include:

  • Variance requests. A variance is a special exception to zoning regulations that allows a property owner to use their land for a purpose that is not normally allowed in the zoning district. For example, a property owner may request a variance to build a larger home than is allowed in their zoning district.
  • Nonconforming uses. A nonconforming use is a use of land that was legal when it was established, but is no longer allowed under current zoning regulations. For example, a property owner may have a commercial business in a residential zoning district.
  • Setback and buffer disputes. Zoning ordinances will determine how much distance there must be between buildings and the property lines, including things such as sheds, garages, or other outbuildings.
  • Enforcement actions. Local governments may take enforcement action against property owners who are violating zoning regulations. This could include fines, stop-work orders, or even demolition.
  • Development proposals. Property owners who want to develop their land may need to obtain a zoning permit. If a neighboring property owner objects to the development, this could lead to a zoning dispute.

How Can an Attorney Help with a Zoning Dispute?

If you are facing a zoning dispute, one of the experienced ordinance and zoning dispute attorneys at Churchill, Quinn, Hamilton & Van Donselaar, Ltd. can help you in a number of ways. Your attorney can:

  • Advise you of your rights and options. Zoning laws can be complex, and it is important to understand your rights and options before taking any action. We can help you understand the zoning laws in your area and advise you of the best course of action.
  • Negotiate with the local government. In many cases, zoning disputes can be resolved through negotiation. Our attorneys can help you negotiate with the local government to reach a mutually agreeable solution.
  • Represent you at a hearing. If the zoning dispute cannot be resolved through negotiation, it may need to be resolved at a hearing. When this is the case, it is important to have a qualified and competent attorney to represent you at the hearing and advocate for your interests.
  • File a lawsuit. In some cases, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit to resolve a zoning dispute. Our attorneys can file a lawsuit on your behalf and represent you in court.

How to Avoid a Zoning Dispute

The best way to avoid a zoning dispute is to do your research before you buy or develop property. Make sure you understand the zoning laws in your area and that your proposed use of the property is allowed. If you have any questions, we are here to provide the assistance you need.

The zoning process is complex and can be difficult to navigate without an experienced attorney. The attorneys at Churchill, Quinn, Hamilton & Van Donselaar, Ltd. are proficient in zoning laws and can provide the expert representation you need if you are faced with a zoning dispute. Contact us at 847-223-1500 to learn more.